Zero is Good!
GSA is committed to having a zero environmental footprint and as part of this pledge, GSA is aiming to make the GSA Training and Expo a leader in sustainable conferences and tradeshows. To help reduce our environmental footprint, GSA:
Before the conference:
1. Collocated the ITS Network Services Conference with the GSA Training and Expo, which reduces the need for attendees to travel to two separate events and provides these attendees the ability to see a wider breadth and depth of GSA offerings in a single location.
2. Contracted with an expert in sustainability, The Leonardo Academy, to help assess the green house gas emissions of the event, establish a Green Exhibitor Program and obtain carbon offsets.
3. Established a Green Exhibitor Program for exhibitors. GSA invited all the exhibitors to participate in a Green Exhibitor Program, which recognizes the outstanding efforts of our industry partners who are successfully minimizing the negative environmental impacts of participating in conferences and tradeshows. Each participating exhibitor earned points based on the depth of environmentally responsible practices and products incorporated into their display. The point system was specifically designed in a way that provides every company with the opportunity to attain the highest recognition level, regardless of booth size. These scores indicate a level of achievement: Participant, Silver, Gold or Platinum. Here is the list of our Green Exhibitors, by achievement level, for the GSA Training and Expo 2012.
4. Printed promotional materials and the program guide on recycled paper using soy based ink.
During the conference:
1. Delivered 25 separate training courses on green products and services.
2. Most hotels were within walking distance of the conference. However, for hotels requiring shuttle services, we provided this type of service through a transportation company, who uses biofuel and implements an idle policy of five minutes or less.
3. Utilized Quick Response (QR) codes so attendees can download presentation and marketing literature during the exhibit and each class.
After the conference:
1. Training presentations and related materials are posted on the Expo website available for download.
2. Training certificates for all attendees are available for download.
3. Leonardo Academy used to obtain carbon offset and/or wholesale renewable energy certificates from wind farms, solar energy, and/or reforestation projects. This will help to offset the greenhouse gas emission created during the GSA Training and Expo.